February 17, 2014

Stay Calm and Read Book

I am a “real book” reader because I just love the feel of a book in my hand. When I read, I just prefer holding an actual book and turning the pages. Old-fashioned? Probably, but I like it that way.


"I like to read. And once I read something, I understand it, 
and once I understand it, I never forget it." 
- Suits (Season 1, "Pilot").


You can tell a lot by a person by the books they read. In my house, you would guess I’m into religion, decor, parenting/babies, fashion, cooking and of course, novels. Shahar’s books are all about business, leadership, and motivation.

Our mini library at living room. 
I have another bookshelf in my bedroom where I put all my novels, 
and school reference books.



All three of my kids love to read, and I didn't have to trick them into it. 





I think that my kids have become the little bookworms because Shahar and I, both loved to read. We did a lot of reading with our kids from a very young age and they always loved books. For me, reading is a lifelong hobby and it can help build the imagination, vocabulary and education to you and your children. Studies show what common sense tells us: the more kids read, the better they read and the more pleasure they get out of reading.





It a must for us to enter the bookstores every time we go to the shopping mall and it is something all of my kids look forward to. Sometimes when we go for outings or vacations, my kids will bring their own favorite book together. Or should I say, I've remind them to do so.

There are some helpful ways to make reading fun for your children which I have been practicing to my three little munchkins.

Child will do as you do, not as you say.
Parents are powerful role models and greatest influence for children.
Modelling your own love of reading is more powerful than making your child sit through a rigid story time. If they see you reading, they will want to read. =)


Avoid pressuring your child.
Slow and steady wins the race!
All children learn to read at a different pace. Set aside a chunk of time during which they should read, instead of asking your little ones to finish a certain number of pages.
If it's a race to the finish, nobody wins.x
When your child is not interested in a certain book, just put it away.
Try to read to them what they are most interested in but also introduce new books all the time.


Make books accessible.
Surround your kids with reading material that interests them. 
 Keep them where your kids can reach them on their own.  


Read to and with your child.
No matter how busy you are, reading with your kids is a necessary activity.
At night, before your children go to sleep, pick out a book to read. 
Stay in the habit, even if you only have 10 minutes.
As little as 10 minutes of free reading a day can help improve your child's skills and habits. 



Spend time in the library or bookstores together as regular outing. 
Let your child choose favorite books to read and borrow / buy,
and encourage your child to explore the library and enjoy all the activities it offers.


Take steps to minimize TV, computer and mobile screen time.
Limit your children's TV and other gadgets viewing in an effort to make time for other activities, 
such as reading. Those technologies can discourage child' imagination because it creates ready-made imaginary worlds to them.
Never use TV or gadgets as a reward for reading, or a punishment for not reading. 



Read! Anytime, anywhere and anyhow.
Not all reading takes place between the covers of a book. 
What about menus, road signs, food labels, and pamphlets? 
Take advantage of countless spur-of-the-moment opportunities for reading 
during the course of your family's busy day.
Make reading for fun and pleasure a part of your everyday life.





"What helps a child get through those certain roadblocks ... is having someone 
who's constantly on their side letting them know they can do it," 

No comments :

Post a Comment